Baby it is cold outside and let’s face it, there are pros and cons to this. Since I’m out here living my best life, I am choosing to look at the positives. South Africans in particular have their own unique winter traditions and delights. Here are 10 things to love about a South African winter:
1. The almost instant disappearance of your summer-long ant infestation.
2. Cuddling up. Whether you’re snuggling with your boo, your fur baby, or your hot water bottle, doing so in winter is infinitely better.
3. The very large, and sometimes bizarre variety of Woolies soups. Biltong soup, really? How much more South African can soups get?
4. Of course, its sweater weather. I am so glad that since the start of the pandemic, tracksuits have become more popular because it is now socially acceptable to wear your pyjamas all day every day. Click here to shop our 2021 winter collection.
5. The distinct aroma of burning firewood as soon as the sun sets. I don’t know about you, but the smell of burning firewood reminds me of home.
6. Speaking of sunsets, there is nothing quite like an African winter sunset.
7. Winter markets. My personal favourites are the Irene Village Market and the Linden Market.
Check out the Linden Market Here
Check out the Irene Village Market Here
8. Gluhwein. Now I know Gluhwein is not really South African, but I cannot help but love a warm glass of it in the wintertime. Click Here for the best Gluhwein recipe.
9. Fluffy blankets. You know what’s better than a warm fluffy blanket? A portable warm fluffy blanket. You guessed it, blanket hoodies are back in! Click Here to get yours now.
10. Summer Sales . As we are gearing up for colder weather, it is also a good idea to take advantage of all the summer clothing sales going on. Remember, you can never have too many dresses. Click Here to shop our summer sale.
Written by Genevieve Lobban